12 Days in Bali and Borneo
The Islands of the Imagination Tour
Photo tour led by David Metcalf and Mark Rayner
This combination tour takes you on a journey to two vastly different islands – Bali and Borneo, each of them beautiful and mystical in their own way.
Bali has volcanoes, ancient ceremonies, and stunning landscapes allowing you, the photographer to capture green lush rice fields and experience the friendly local Balinese people. Borneo is big and bold and bursting with wildlife. You will get to meet the beautiful orangutans, capture the magnificent Hornbill bird sweeping across the sky and experience indigenous tribal cultures, as we stop at small riverside villages and meet the Dayak people. David Metcalf’s long association with the Dayaks have allowed for a unique visit to a special village. The Dayaks love to meet foreigners and willingly engage with you, the photographer, allowing for some excellent portrait photography and a genuine exchange of cross-culture dialogue.
Mark Rayner and David Metcalf have been leading photography tours to these islands for the past four years and this time, they are combining the highlights into a fantastic package of wonderful photo opportunities with action-packed adventures every day. We have fun, and we put you in the right places for getting great shots with the right light. Our tuition is professional, practical, and you will learn more about your personal level of photography with the expert guidance of these two award-winning photographers. Teaching and patience will be delivered. The art of story telling through your vision and what you capture is what you will receive.
Photographic opportunities in Bali
• Colourful Balinese dance in the non-tourist area of West Bali
• Beautiful sunsets over the Indian Ocean
• Ancient holy temples
• Fishing villages with hundreds of colourfully decorated boats
• Exciting buffalo racing in the rice fields of West Bali
• World Heritage listed rice fields
• Terraced rice fields of Bali
• Waterfalls and the natural beauty of Munduk, North Bali
• Colour and vibrancy of traditional Balinese ceremonies
• Bali’s largest Volcano Mt Agung from many different angles
Photographic opportunities in Borneo
• Orangutans in their natural forest environment in two distinctly different areas, TanjungPuting NP and on an island near Palangkaraya.
• Traditional Dayak villages
• By invitation only, a special Dayak dance and music performance in the forest
• Meeting the children of Katimpun Village, who are supported by this tour and an on-going 3-year education project first hand
• Traditional medicine and handicraft of the indigenous Dayak cultures
• 3 days on a comfortable, air-conditioned boat (Australian owned and operated) travelling the ancient rivers of central Borneo, where we witness stunning sunsets and dine on 5-star food.
Please join us on a unique and extraordinary photography adventure. You will have many opportunities to receive one-on-one tuition and move your photography skills along. Personal attention is our commitment to you. Mark and Dave are both expert tutors and have 80 years combined photography experience.
Reserve your place on this tour
Once we receive your request we will call and email you to confirm details.
- Fees are exclusive of your own travel to and from Bali.
- Fees do not cover international travel and medical insurance.
- 50% to be paid on confirmed booking.
- Balance of 50% paid at least 45 days before the tour start date.
- By credit card or bank wire transfer.
- 100% refund if made 30+ days before the tour start date.
- 50% refund if made 15+ days before the tour start date.
- 25% refund if made 7+ days before the tour start date.
Just to be clear, filling in and sending this form does not commit you to anything or any payment until the booking is confirmed, which will be done with the photographer directly after you both have spoken and agreed everything.
Please fill in all the fields.
Originally from New Zealand, David's passion for photography started when, 19 years old, he bought his first Kodak camera. David is an insightful tutor who inspires you to put the manual down, engage with the subject, access your creativity and capture the essence of a photo. He is the author of three cultural photography books and is a spokesperson for the indigenous Dayak people of Kalimantan. David’s tours connect you with travel and culture, opportunities that take you to a higher level of seeing and feeling.
Mark hails from Brisbane in Australia, but his photo tours span the world. Fully accredited as a professional photographer in Australia (AIPP), Mark is an established wedding, portrait and commercial photographer, for which he has been awarded several commendations including "2012 Shoot the Architect" competition sponsored by the Australian Institute of Architects.